photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Monday, September 15, 2014

Milk + Honey and Why I ♥ Goats

Bee + Sunflower lotion bar by Milk + Honey /// www.janerichmond.com

At Vogue Knitting Live Seattle, Shannon and I picked up the Almost Everything kit from Bar-Maids. I'd never used a bar lotion and since then it's been my preference over liquid lotion. Especially during the summer months when I'm in shorts everyday. I love being able to quickly rub the bar directly on my legs as I'm running out the door rather than squeezing lotion into my hands and  rubbing it in. 

So when I was given a chance to try Milk + Honey's lotion bar for knitters I said yes please!! I've had their Lavender scented Bee+Sunflower lotion bar on my bedside table and I am loving my nightly routine of moisturizing my hands when I crawl into bed because the lavender scent lulls me to sleep, it's such a soothing smell. And the bar is so silky smooth. 

Bee + Sunflower lotion bar by Milk + Honey /// www.janerichmond.com

Another thing that's really important to me is that products be all-natural. This is a change I made after little Miss E was born. All of a sudden I was thinking twice about the chemical cleaners and paraben-laden body products in my home. But I really hate to waste, so the change to all-natural (and more often homemade) had to happen gradually. As things were used up I would replace them with green products. So I love finding new all-natural products to use. 

Bee + Sunflower lotion bar by Milk + Honey /// www.janerichmond.com

Another reason I was drawn to Milk + Honey products is because of my love of goat products! If you follow me on Instagram or Pinterest you may have noticed I post and pin a lot of dairy-free recipes. It's not because I'm vegan or paleo but because I can't have cow's milk. The dairy products in my diet are all made of goat's milk and I get really excited when I discover new ones! I'm constantly experimenting with goat dairy in recipes so that I don't have to be deprived of yummy things like cream cheese, sour cream, and icing (...or frosting if you are from the US?).

In short, I ♥ Goats!

What about you? Do you have a favorite lotion for your knitting hands? 

How about food sensitivities? Are you in the same boat as me? Do you have any goat dairy recipes or substitutions?! Wanna trade notes? 

12 comments:

  1. Looks divine! I'm intrigued!

    I love l'occitane hand cream but it's a bit pricey.

    I'm a piggy so even though I'm sensitive to cow's milk products I'll indulge every once in a while.

    My favorite way to eat goat cheese is on toasted pita or naan with red peppers and a dash of balsamic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah if only you could smell it! It's seriously divine!

      I ignored it for years and years!! It wasn't until I cut certain things out that I realized what "normal" really felt like!! Now you couldn't pay me to feel that sick again!! Goat all the way baby! Um and your goat cheese pita sounds incredible! Are the red peppers raw?

      Delete
  2. oh, I love goat milk products, as well! I don't have an allergy, I just think it's good to diversify. In Shoppers Drug Mart there is a goats milk line of soap sand bath products that are widely available, but don't look nearly as beautiful as that gorgeous lotion bar. I'll have to keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'll have to take a look for that line at Shoppers! I love goat milk soap :)

      Delete
  3. In my 40s I finally understood that dairy products were the cause of many ills and just this year, I realized that I had to give up gluten as well. There is no doctor out there that can know you as well as you know yourself, self-diagnosing is vital sometime. I'm still struggling with replacing foods without gluten. I use a lot of almond milk and goats cheese too.
    I make my own soaps and body butters. Now that I use those, I could never go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't start listening to my body until just a few years ago, I'm embarrassed that I ignored it for as long as I did because now I wouldn't dream of being so careless with what I put into it and on it. I was gluten free for a long while before having a food sensitivity test and then later a celiac test. I'm not celiac (yay!) and have since reintroduced spelt which opens up great possibilities for me! If you are looking for GF recipes I've pinned a lot to my Pinterest board "FOOD : healthier choices".

      Delete
  4. I add goat's milk products to my stash whenever possible. These look fantastic ~ thanks for sharing, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could smell the bar!! It's a little slice of heaven! If you happen upon some Milk + Honey at your LYS I highly recommend grabbing some :)

      Delete
  5. I love goats... if I didn't live in an apartment I would already have at least a couple by now LOL

    Goat cheese is such a nice sub for mozza on home made pizza for those with trouble digesting cow's milk - my hubby does but refuses to admit it so I sneak it in there without him noticing haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! If I could I would have goats too!! How wonderful would that be! I should add it to my bucket list :)

      Isn't it funny how many of us ignore how some foods bother us, lol. The majority I think!

      Delete
  6. where do you buy this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that many local yarn stores have picked up the line since it's feature in Vogue Knitting! You may want to take a look at your LYS. Otherwise you can order direct from their website (linked in the post above).

      Delete