photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Monday, April 11, 2016

On My Needles /// Climb Socks and Afterthought Heels

Climb Socks /// janerichmond.com

I always have a pair of socks on my needles...
That way if I'm stuck between projects, or need something portable, or want to read or watch a movie while I'm knitting—I can just grab my socks.

I'm knitting my 5th pair of Climb Socks—and my second pair using an afterthought heel. I knit my socks toe-up and I love that once I've finished the toe it's nothing but Stockinette, tube sock knitting! Perfect for distracted, mindless, take everywhere knitting!

Climb Socks /// janerichmond.com

I'm using Knit Picks Stroll Sock Yarn in a darker grey, Basalt Heather, rather than the Dove Heather used for the other 4 pairs, and I'm really pleased with how they turned out!

Climb Socks /// janerichmond.com

Also on my needles...
These fun striped socks! I'm alternating between Knit Picks Felici Bare and the sock blank that I died up eons ago during Felicia Lo's Dying to Get Some Colour workshop! I'm using the Climb pattern for these socks as well, it's my go to sock pattern :)

Climb Socks /// janerichmond.com

Climb Socks /// janerichmond.com



How do you knit your socks? Cuff down or toe up? Short row or afterthought heel? Double points or magic loop? Do you have a favorite sock pattern?

11 comments:

  1. I knit toe up on 2 circulars (very rarely magic loop). I do a short row heel. The pattern that has become my plain vanilla sock is "Socks on a Plane" by Laura Linneman. I have them memorized now. That always helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look that one up! It's so nice to find a base pattern you love. Everyone needs a go to sock pattern.

      Delete
  2. After I found your Climb Socks pattern that's all I use. Making two at a time using the magic loop. I have never tried the afterthought heel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that makes me so happy! Truth be told, they are the only sock pattern I use as well!! I like my socks nice and stretchy and they knit up SO fast!

      Delete
  3. ooh, I love both of your climb socks! the basalt heather is a great dark grey, very classic. And your rainbow stripes are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kit my socks from the toe up too. Every once in a while I go the other way to follow a particular pattern but I love the way a toe-up sock is finished when you reach the cuff. I have some plain vanilla socks for both me and my daughter on the needles right now. They are just right for stuffing in my purse to have when I need them (except that the pair for my daughter are currently a beautiful example of an error in mathematics and need to go backwards but that won't take too long to fix).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! Socks are perfect purse knitting! Goodluck with your daughters socks -- I hope they work out!

      Delete
  5. I used Climb for my first attempt at knitting socks, and I knit them both at the same time using magic loop. A fantastic pattern - it will surely be my "go-to" sock pattern from now on. And now...you have just blown my mind! Afterthought heel? Genius. This makes them a perfect relaxation and portable "on-the-go" project.

    But I have a question Jane. How do you (personally) knit your afterthought heel? Are there different ways to do this? I found this great tutorial by the knit girllls for setting up the waste yarn and then picking up the stitches afterward (http://www.theknitgirllls.com/wordpress/index.php/2011/03/tutorial-series-afterthought-heel/), but I'm wondering how you do it for Climb? How many rows (or inches) do you knit around before you start decreasing? And then how do you decrease? Or do you have a resource that you can share? Thanks so much! I love everything that you are doing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky--very good question! I've watched that video, it's a good one! Because I'm knitting toe up (the video is top down), I'll put in my waste yarn just before I reach my heel (sort of in line with my ankle bone). Once I pick up to knit the heel, I'll pick up two extra stitches at each end to help close the gap and decrease them along with the rest when I begin shaping. On the climbs I work 10 rows even, I have a high arch and this little extra works out perfectly. I then begin my decreases, (I'm magic looping): [k1, ssk, knit to 3 sts before end of needle, k2tog, k1] repeat once more. I work this decrease round every other round until I have 12 stitches left on each needle, I then use the kitchener stitch to close!

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. This helps immensely! Thank you. I am so excited about this...I might just have to put all current projects on hold to start another pair of Climb. I am dying to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The athletic tube socks are designed in such exciting way that they bring the fun back to your life. In addition to their super cool dotted style and immense comfortability, the bulk tube socks stay strong and enhance your walking stance thoroughly.

    wholesale tube socks

    ReplyDelete