photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Monday, November 28, 2016

OFF THE NEEDLES / Fireside Pullover with Button Closure

Fireside Pullover / by janerichmond.com

{ Fireside Pullover with button closure }


I've been meaning to share this version of the Fireside Pullover — which I knit almost 2 years ago, after the original sample was developed. I wanted for this version to be worn as more of an outer layer for camping. I decided the warm heathered brown would be more forgiving and added the optional button closure to keep the collar closer to my neck for cold nights around the campfire.

The pullover is also slightly looser fitting than the original sample which suits it's intended use well. Both sweaters are knit from the same size (34) but my tension was slightly looser on this one (16 stitches instead of 17) resulting in a garment that is 35 inches around instead of 33 inches. It's amazing how much .25 of a stitch (per inch) can affect the overall circumference of a sweater and how those two inches can make quite a difference in fit!

The result is a comfy, laid back pullover, perfect for the outdoors or cozying up inside. Elsie loved this version so much that she wore it for 2 weeks straight! In fact it's so well worn from her that the insides of the cuffs are slightly felted from her 8 year old shenanigans — I can only imagine what this sweater went through on the playground at school!

I've posted all of the details for this project on Ravelry: Fireside with Button Closure.

Fireside Pullover / by janerichmond.com

Fireside Pullover / by janerichmond.com

Here are photos of the original so that you can compare the fit and finishing (collar without buttons).

Fireside Pullover / by janerichmond.com

Fireside Pullover / by janerichmond.com

Fireside Pullover / by janerichmond.com


These may have been knit 2 years ago but my current project right now is a third Fireside Pullover for our #withinknits knit along (original post here)! I'm making great progress — I'm nearly halfway through the hip shaping! I'm excited to add this one to my wardrobe! ...and I promise not to take 2 years to share it with you!

This pattern is also part of the Indie Designers Gift-A-Long so don't forget to use code giftalong2016 to receive 25% off the pattern (sale ends Nov 30)!

I hope you've had a good weekend! What are you knitting? 









8 comments:

  1. I actually just knit the Entwine scarf from Within but turned it into a cowl (I'm not big on fringe). It's now a cozy, triple wrap cowl to keep me warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a fantastic idea!! I'm dying to see it! Is your project up on Ravelry?

      Delete
  2. I love them both on you! I need to get back to work on mine, the holiday rush to finish gifts is keeping me away. I'm in love with the deep blue I am making mine in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I'm so glad you love both! I'm excited about your deep blue version!!

      Delete
  3. thank you for the gift along discount -- I took advantage, have cast on the Fireside and am loving working on it. I only get bits and pieces of time to work on it but it sure feel great to be knitting something bulky and fast like this (a big switch from size 0 needles on socks!). I'm on Ravlery as Ramonasgirl and will soon start adding some WIP photos. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your Fireside!! I've just bound off the body of mine!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I love that colour on you! It's interesting the little details that can have a big effect on the overall look, I like both versions even though they are different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am having a bit of a problem with the pattern. When picking up the stitches on the yoke, am I picking the stitches off the stitch holders from the collar, as I cannot quite see how my total of 90 sts (I'm knitting the 28inch version), can all fit on otherwise. Many thanks! I'm loving the shaping on this pattern so far; such a joy to see the curving come through. Jenny :-)

    ReplyDelete